Monday, January 3, 2011

To School or Not to School?

After leaving my last job, I made myself a promise to work hard to find the right next step for me and not just take the next thing that came along just to get something. Some people criticize that strategy in today's economy, but I have had several jobs in a row that were not the right fit for me. What I learned was if you don't have some connection to your work, it can effect everything in your life. I found myself trying to stay motivated both at work and at home. I know that I have something to contribute, I just have to find that place!


In looking for this "right" next step, I have been taking a three pronged approach. I started my own consulting business to explore what it would be like to work for myself, I have been applying for jobs that look like a good fit, and I am applying to a graduate school program. The last one is my focus for this week. My application is due this week and I have had a bit of writers block in finishing my personal statement. I have to really explore why I want to return to school and why I want to enter this program that is very different from my undergrad degree. When I started looking back at the jobs and internships I have had since starting college, I realized that I loved working at a university. You are surrounded by intelligent and passionate people and there always seems to be so much promise and energy. That is when I came across the Student Affairs in Higher Education program at Colorado State University. The program seems to be a practical application approach and encourages hands-on experience in various offices on campus. I explored several other programs, including NC State where I did my undergrad, but decided that I wanted to stay in state for school (partially for monetary reasons). I am putting all my eggs in one basket on this one and hoping for the best. The application has been a learning experience in itself and for that I am grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment